Thursday 22 January 2009

The Post office!

I had a lovely trip out at lunchtime to go the Post Office. Since I arrived I have had quite a lot of work post to send out as it is "end of year review" time, and ink signatures are still essential. So, I have been "popping" to the Post Office next to Charley Barley the Butcher, just in Stornoway. I knew there was a Post Office in either Luerbost or Crossbost, so I set off today in the sunshine to find it.....and what an adventure!

I was sure the Portakabin in question was in Leurbost, so I took the back road from Grimshader, through Crossbost and crawled through Leurbost at 20 mph looking out for the PO. Reached the road end - no sign. I went to the shop at Cameron Terrace to pick up milk and asked for directions to the PO in the shop. I was told it was just past the Village Hall on the Leubost Road.

So I crawled back through Leurbost, probably looking slightly dodgy! Found the village Hall....but no PO. So, as a typical woman, I stopped again to ask for directions - this time a local man, in his garden. The garden is an impressive feature of houses in the country on Lewis - not many houses have them. This one was laid out with flower beds and the best collection of garden gnomes than I have seen outside Surrey. This gentleman explained that I needed to "go past the graveyard, turn left up the hill and it is just there". Thanking him, I leaped back in the milk float and set off confidently towards Crossbost graveyard. At last, I thought I had found the hidden PO

But no.....I got to the graveyard and there was no left hand turn. Maybe there was another graveyard which I had sped past in my enthusiasm? So, back I went towards Leurbost; couldn't see another graveyard, but did spot another likely candidate for direction-giver extraordinaire. This was a wonderful old man - very deaf, so we had to huddle up to communicate. And he did enjoy the huddling! He asked where I was living, and when I told him the village, he asked which house and told me "I'll be up to visit tonight then" with a twinkle in his eye. He turned out to be 90 - although he didn't look it. I have seen many old ladies in Lewis with fabulous skin, but never seen an old man anywhere with such a wonderful complexion. Anyway, he gave me directions, again involving the graveyard, but a turning before the graveyard

Off I went, this time checking on the way with a man on a tractor, who confirmed the location. Turned left from the Crossbost road, towards Grimshader, and there, not 10 yards from the road was the PO. A fine portakabin, proudly announcing itself to the world - I has driven past it about 40 minutes before on my way out. How on earth I didn't see it I will never know. The postmistress emerged from her house, unlocked the PO and weighed my mail. I explained my PO hunt of the best part of the last hour, and she laughingly told me I must need new specs. So, I now know where it is - close than Charley Barley's, and I will continue to go there in the hope that an extra customer will help keep the place open. Again, when I find my bloomin' card reader I will put up a photo of it

2 comments:

Tweed Thoughts said...

Hilarious!!! I look forward to reading about your ongoing adventures - I laughed out loud :D!

JWM said...

Might be quicker next time to email me the flippin' thing, I'll print it, sign it, then post it for you!!!

Still, guess you made a few friends that day.