Wednesday 4 February 2009

Shady Ladies!

I have been threatening to tell you about the people I have met up here, so that's the subject of this post....Shady Ladies!

Obviously there are the people I have known for a while now, my family, although distant and I'll tell you about them another day. I also have my friend I, who helped us leave Cheshire, and is quite shy, so won't want to see much on here about himself......But for now, we must focus on the people I have met in the village. Here's a cast list:

Rusty Pipes and Mr Methane - it's thanks to these 2 that we found the lovely wee hoos that N and I live in. First appearance - on Dalmor (or was it Dalbeg) beach last summer. I had been to get my hair done and N had gone to the beach with J&L who we were on holiday with. By the time I arrived N had made friends with the 2 lovely girlies, A&E and my friend L was chatting happily to Rusty Pipes (as I now know her!). We got on like a house on fire and when I later realised that a year on Lewis was a real possibility I managed to find them by the miracles of t'internet and the rest is history. Rusty is bonkers and makes me feel right at home here - good advice about where to park the car in a gale and other tidbits you only appreciate when you live on the edge of the world. And she makes a great cuppa. Mr Methane is very quiet, but has an excellent wit, and a great rapport with webcams (managed to install mine for me). He took my family tree away today and by now has probably found out about my great Aunt who died in Holloway after robbing a sub Post Office with a sawn off shotgun

Dr Do-lots and The Welsh Idea (WI) - Thankfully these 2 live at "the right end of the village" with their lovely kids C&O........if you stand on the roof of our hoos you can see the great yellow hoos on the hill where this crowd live! Dr Do-lots has already rescued me form one medical emergency - and hopefully that will be the last of it! She had a BIG Birthday at the weekend and as a result the Shady Ladies ventured forth on Friday night - Stornoway was afraid. More about the trip to town next time. The WI is always in a good mood, always smiling and full of positive energy. He too makes great tea - poofs or builders (ie earl grey or PG tips!)

Mr Bonfire and Victoria (Wood....dinner ladies...think about it, those of you who know her) - live right at the the far end of the village. The 3 of us have had a moment of epiphany, realising that our boys (my N and their D) are truly soul mates. They both love football, guns, wrestling and mud. It is great for N to have a boy a little older to play with, and we have been sharing the driving to and from footie training on a Friday night. S is the long suffering older brother of D, who is really in to internet shopping. Mr B ( as opposed to Mr M....keep up!!) looks after the community minibus and drove us Shady Ladies into town for a our quiet sherry.....and then even came back again to pick us up. What a gent!

We have been very fortunate so far. We came from a lovely village with lots of fantastic friends.....for a while on 06 Jan I did think we must be mad to be leaving to come here and follow our dream. However, it looks like we have had a soft landing, and found more people who can help N and I enjoy our lives and our time on the Island. Still.....early days.....will start the stalking, blackmail and abusive phone calls soon - that'll put the cat among the pidgeons!

2 comments:

Rusty said...

I need to challenge you on one thing.

No it is not my husband being called Mr Methan, he really deserves that name!

It is not even you calling me bonkers. It is early days and I am trying for eccentric or just 'you know that mad old woman up the village.' I see I am a mere bonkers so shall have to work damn harder!!

The issue I have is the Shady Ladies drinking sherry quietly. I can only assume you got so drunk that you missed out the naked dancing on the table in the Lewis bar. Really I shall have to take my camera next time. ;)

Sarah Mac said...

I thought I had left my naked dancing days behind me - but obviously not! No wonder all the men in town look so scared every time they see me!